Monday, January 18, 2010

Weeds Season 5 on DVD

On Tuesday the 5th season of Weeds becomes available on DVD or Blue Ray. In anticipation for this big day I've been watching the season illegally online, so that I could give you rapid fans sound advice.
In keeping with my high standards, I haven't actually seen the whole season. I'm 7 episodes into the 13 episode season and feel confident I can provide an adequate gist of the show and its merit this season.
Season 5 begins in the wake of Nancy (Mary Louise Parker) revealing to her BF/Drug King Pin/Mexican Mayor that she is pregnant with his child. The move is an attempt to stave off death after it becomes clear he knows she ratted on his smuggling operation.
All of this isn't that big of a deal, though, and seems contained solely to Nancy's universe (well little Shane gets a fun sidekick for a while). But the other story lines include Silas continuing to strike out on his own, Doug finding more people to latch on to, Celia annoying her way out of a kidnapping and Andy (banging only two women so far) sort of just keeping himself available as Nancy's sidekick.
For some reason the stakes of this season don't seem as high as other seasons. Typically Nancy is a hair away from seeing her life collapse around her, but now she seems to be in a room without any corners to paint herself into. As a result, I don't find the show very compelling or the dynamic understandable.
That's not to say the show isn't as funny as ever, because it is. Additionally, I find myself not hating Shane, which is a first, and even Silas is growing on me. Doug is still classic Doug, and has his best moments when he is inspired by the life of George Hamilton, who he strives to emulate. As for Andy, I could just listen to his take on life for hours on end.
Justin Kirk as Andy Botwin has found the role of his life. At this point the show could kill off Nancy and let the crew of Andy, Doug, Silas, Shane and the two Hodes that like women start their own show. I would watch it, and it seems like the Botwin boys could move on without their mom, since early in the year they responded to the possibility of her death by vying for her bedroom.
Unfortunately the tenor of the show is off this season, and i'm worried it won't be able to make up for this in the last six episodes. Part of this problem is a product of the show's jumping of the shark when they moved the family. That destroyed the best part of the show, which was the atmosphere in which everything was taking place. They tried to recreate that feel, but ultimately it feels phony and unrewarding.
Weeds is a different show now, from what it originally was, and not just because of the disappearance of Conrad. This show isn't bad, but it's not great. I will still enjoy finishing this season, and I'd recommend you buy it/rent it if you're already a fan, but I'd argue that there are too many weeds in this crop of Weeds.

No comments: