Monday, January 25, 2010

4 Hours In

I'm four hours into the eighth day of 24 and I'm not really impressed. In fact, I'd go so far as to this season has just been bad.
The highlight in this season, and biggest surprise, has been the performance of Freddie Prinze Jr. Playing the straight arrow Agent Cole Ortiz, Prinze was responsible for the only exciting and rewarding moment in the season when he prevented the death of the generic Middle East leader. His character seems vaguely familiar to the by the book Renee Walker from last season, who eventually evolved (or devolved) into a mini-Jack Bauer. I hope he doesn't embrace the same grey area that she readily embraced last year and lost her identity. I like Prinze as a foil to Bauer, especially since it could lead to a confrontation down the road.
Speaking of Renee Walker, i think her return has been very unsatisfying. (Spoiler alert) Her unveiling as an extreme version of Bauer, in that she won't think twice about cutting off a guy's hand, seemed very phony. I don't care what back story they provide to explain her transition, it will not be satisfying.
My biggest let down so far has been Katee Sackhoff, who I expected, nay demanded, big things from. This is an actress who kills it in every chance she gets to shine, granted playing the same person basically, but she seems like she's going to be inappropriately used if they continue this mysterious story that is neither mysterious or a good story. I hate these tangents they embark on every season of 24 when there's some idiotic and pointless arc that involves some CTU agents private life, with the worst being the CTU Chief's problems with her daughter one season. UGH. But back to Sackhoff, who was even good in the atrocious BIONIC WOMAN, where she played an awesome villain.
Ideally I'd like Sackhoff to get a gun and get to work, either as a bad guy or a good guy.
Anyway, I still hate Cherry Jones as the worst president ever. Chloe is still great. And once again, all of CTU's problems could be avoided if everyone just listened to Jack.

No comments: