Sunday, January 3, 2010

LOST: Season 4

So I was basically told to shut up about old season of Lost, which is why I didn't rant about season 4 while I watching it. Since I'm about to start season five tonight I feel like I should offer some random thoughts about the previous season.
This season gave us a glimpse at who would make it off the island. These castaways would be known as the OCEANIC 6, and included Sun, Sayid, Kate, Hurley, Jack and Claire's baby (Aaron). This is all revealed to us in flash forwards that are wildly effective. The utilization of the flash forwards is when I realized how good this show really was, particularly in terms of its cohesive vision.
Some of season four seems like a waste, in that we're all sort of just wandering around until the big showdown. Granted, we're not exactly twiddling our fingers, but I did feel like there was a lot of filler in this season.
I touched on the highlight of the season, which is THE CONSTANT, when Penelope and Desmond talk on the radio after we explore his back story in depth.
The biggest shock of the season was the death of Alex. Her abrupt end was startling and defined the show's willingness to kill characters, even more so than the deaths of Shannon or Boone.
I enjoyed the reveal at the end of the season, when we learned that Locke was in the casket. In retrospect he was the only other person besides Ben who could have been in there. I like how season four sets up season five so well, in terms of Jack's quest and the tumultuous nature of the events on the island.
Don't know what else to say, except that I suck at summations. Going to try for more frequent updates during the course of season 5 and weekly reviews during the new episodes of season 6.
Steve, you're welcome.

No comments: