Saturday, January 9, 2010

Murkey Area on the Boardwalk

The idea of THE JERSEY SHORE is not offensive to me. I have had no problem with the show until the most recent episode, which in my opinion showcased violence in a spectacular manner that was out of line. I think that it was inappropriate because it was only two episodes after the show refused to show a woman getting hit and then aired a PSA about violence against women.
That's great, if you want to go that way. But you can't do that and then air two drunk fights in one episode, as if they're just good fun because the genders stuck to their own teams.
In the most recent episode Ronnie got into a scuffle on the Boardwalk and Snookie exchanged claw swipes at the house with "two hippos."

Regarding the former I think the show aired something that was much more violent than when Snookie got dropped. It also showed Ronnie getting into this fight without any repercussions. He didn't start the fight, but he engaged in it and savagely beat another person. While MTV let us know how serious it was with menacing background music, they probably were hypocritical to not block it our or air another PSA.
Also, I think the security on the show has a job to prevent these fights. THere is no reason why they couldn't have stepped in and prevented this. Frankly, I think the person who was beaten has a lawsuit against MTV, on the basis that they encouraged Ronnie to drink, are aware of his violent predisposition and never stepped in. PAULY D could tell this guy was trouble, so there should be some level of culpability for the producers of the show.
Regarding Snookie's incident with two large trespassers, I think security again failed and allowed a preventable occurrence to happen. This isn't the REAL WORLD, it's the JERSEY SHORE, so i don't think people care to see what happened when people start getting real. We want to see them battle the beat and not other people.
Don't get me wrong, though, because I still love this show. I think it is hilarious. But if the show rubs me the wrong way they must be doing something wrong, because while moral compass is rooted in stone, it also needs to get pushed very far before it calls for a change of direction.

No comments: