Saturday, January 16, 2010

Jersey Shore: Roid Rage Ronnie

A lot happened on Thursday's episode of Jersey Shore, which was a two-parter that included a trip to Atlantic City. The two hours were superb television and left me wanting more.
What I want to talk about, though, is the last few minutes of the event and the actions of Ronnie.
Last week i condemned Ronnie's actions and the coverage of MTV. This week I've got nothing new to say about all of this, except that I'm glad Ronnie got arrested for his unprovoked attack. YOU CAN'T JUST HIT PEOPLE!!!
I'm glad MTV showed the consequences of his actions, and I hope that they don't gloss over the event in the next issue. I don't care about them promoting drinking or sexual promiscuity, as I endorse both life choices, but i don't condone the violent rampages of this cast. These people have problems, from JWOWW to Ronnie, everyone seems poised to snap at any moment.
I'm still not sure about MTV's responsibility in all of this, in terms of how they cover it and how they promote the show. The only thing i'm certain of is that they shouldn't shy away from the consequences. We get to hear and see people throw up from drinking, so we shouldn't avoid the consequences of violent actions.
I know i sound like a parent or at least a square (people say that, right?), but this really bothered me. It was particularly troubling after I watched a scuffle between high school students after a basketball game, when one fan punched out a fan from an opposing school. He probably isn't taking his cues from Ronnie, but it's all indicative of a culture that lacks good judgment or foresight.

No comments: