Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Office is work

I don't think it is a good sign that watching THE OFFICE now feels like work for me. I've put off watching Thursday's episode for two days now, since I had my first chance to watch it Monday morning.
MY recap of Thursday TV is usually something like this: 30 Rock, Parks, Community, The OFfice and then Fringe. This week I skipped The Office.
If you're wondering, I watch Always Sunny and The League at random points in my life online. Not sure why, and it really has nothing to do with how much i like them. Especially since I hate the League and love Sunny.
But back to THE OFFICE, which hasn't been particularly bad this season. I think the problem for me revolves around the fact that its not a simple running joke anymore. It seems like real life, and tv is about escaping reality.
The reality aspects come into play in terms of Jim's role in the company, which seems rather futile at this point. In his new capacity as co-manager he's not exactly flourishing.
Ok, that doesn't sound like what I want to say. THe reason is because I don't really mean it. I'm beating around the bush, because I don't want to give in. I don't want to admit, that THE OFFICE HASN"T BEEN FUNNY LATELY.
There, I said it.

It hasn't been without laughs, but PARKS AND RECREATIONS has passed it in terms of enjoyable experience. THE OFFICE is still a better show, but like i said, it feels work. Having to digest a real meal, when i just want something light and fluffy is hard.
Maybe it's the consequences of the show. The company could be going under, and that's depressing.
The show definitely has its moments. But they're more like cute moments, such as Erin and Michael bonding in the car after the failure with Scott's Tots.The scene elicited a smile, but not a laugh. My heart was touched, but not my funny bone. So eh.
The show needs to grab me by escaping with me. Let go of reality and go back to the quirks of Office life that people can relate to without wanting to slit their wrists.
Give us more Kevin. Andy should be courting Erin more efficiently. How about Holly? If not Holly, how about some Jan?
Basically, if the open is the funniest thing about the show then something is wrong. The Office needs to get back to work and prove that at this point in its career it still has something left in the tank. I was defending this show vigorously online and in private conversations, but I don't know how much longer I can fight without ammunition.

No comments: