Sunday, December 6, 2009

Almost to the top chef

What’s more exciting than the Final Four in college basketball? Well for starters all the earlier rounds, but in the final four context I’m thinking the final four of TOP CHEF!!! We’ve got Michael V, Bryan V, Jen and Kevin competing for $100,000 dollars, a spot at the Food & Wine Expo, a one night stand with Tom or Padma, some Tupperware, E-List Celebrity status and the title of Top Chef. Woo.
It’s been a long season, but things seemed to shake out the way they should. The chefs that remain are the best of the bunch and possess enough personality for an entertaining episode. I expect to see Jen flame out and Kevin to hit his ceiling in this first part of the finale. Ultimately we’ll be left with a brothers head to head matchup. Let’s see if I’m right.
• Strange hug between Michael and Jen. They obviously have developed some sort of relationship. I guess we saw hints of hit developing throughout the year, but for the most part it’s kind of a surprise. I could understand mutual admiration, although it’s hard to imagine Michael respecting anyone besides himself. She seems to get him, though, and I think Mike is intrigued by anyone who calls him out on his personality, as she does at the train stop. All of this just proves my point that we need more coverage of the chefs outside the kitchen, and I don’t mean more remotes on trains.
• People support Kevin’s beard? I support the French guy’s red thing. Better yet, I support V brother hair care products. How was there never a glamour shot of their Calvin Klein hair gel?
• Bryan’s subtle shot at his brother, regarding the possibility he might push him in front of the train was a joke grounded completely in reality. Mike is a shameless whore who will do anything to win. I’m sure they love each other, but I doubt they like each other. How could they? They’re such polar opposites.
• Padma is a pregnant mom. But the better question is which V brother knocked her up?
• Wow, Mike actually respects another chef. I’m confused. Maybe he’s confusing hatred for admiration.
• I can just imagine Mike rocking out with his leather jacket in his prius. I don’t imagine he knocked Padma up in a car like that. I wish he would trash it. I wish people would trash the GE products during the show. “Why doesn’t this oven cook properly?!?!” Then cut to the GE logo.
• Blue grapes? Aren’t those blueberries?
• I think Fabio would have chopped off his hand on the train.
• Bryan is getting pissed off. Love the idea that he might rock the boat a little and get mean. Although, his brother has commented on the fact that if Bryan gets angry he might get off his game. I’m ok with him focusing his rage on angry sex with Padma, but otherwise he needs to be careful.
• Speaking of grapes, where was Alton Brown for this challenge? He’s the only person I’ve ever seen promote grapes besides a ten year old kid drinking a glass of juice. Those commercials with Alton are a little creepy, because they feel like a warped version of his television show.
• “Screw him [Michael]” Well put Jen. I think at this point everyone is waiting for egg in Michael’s face. He had it a bit with the cooking Olympics episode when his dish was trashed. For the most part, though, he’s been flying high. Maybe a little too high? America wants to see you coming crashing down. We demand satisfaction.
• Good timing on the grape commercial Alton. Better use of a commercial was the Samsung phone Jen watches a video on. Please tell me a producer made them do that. It was either send a video or make a call trapped in a well to demonstrate the range of their coverage.
• Is Padma reading from cue cards? Does Bryan ever blink? These questions need to be answered.
• “Is that going to lead to sabotage?” Love another veiled joke from Bryan. He actually seems a little insecure.
• Kevin is serving ribs that aren’t tender? I hate when people try to do something that they don’t have time. He’s gone. Sure he may think it’s delicious, but eh.
• So Michael’s dish is executed exactly how he wanted. That’s scary for the competitors.
• Food served in Styrofoam or on plastic plates don’t make for great money shots.
• Are there ever any black people on Top Chef? I only bring this up because the entire crowd at this events seems to be white, all the contestants are white and the judges are white. The lack of minorities is kind of astounding, especially since we had two white guys this season cooking up the soul food. Do black people not watch the show or apply to be on it? I’ve watched for two years now, and the diversity seems to revolve solely around sexuality. I feel like this might just reflect the realities of kitchens in America.
• The set up for judges table was great. The judges appear ready to attack and the chefs are armed to defend themselves. Honestly, Padma looks ready to poop herself or jump across the table. Maybe both. Although I hate when she gets all contemplative and tries to critique the food. She needs to stick with “there was bone in mine” or simply just eye-bang a V brother.
• Bye Kevin and Jen. This feels a little staged, but I think that’s how it will shake out. Although, I’m not sure two people are going home. I just sort of want to see heads up competition. I’d also like Robyn to come back for the final episode. Even if she’s just a guest commentator, it would be worth it to hear her running description.
• So three people are coming. Not sure when and why I decided two people were going. Well Mike will be the winner and Kevin is going home. Not 100% sure on Kevin, in fact I like the idea of him making it to the finals just to antagonize Mike. Bye Jen. Final guess.
• Wow, Bryan won. Didn’t see that coming since the judge said the winner was perfectly seasoned, and early on they commented on how his needed salt. Oh well, suck it Mike. By the way, Bryan’s expression doesn’t change whether he wins or loses. “I am so happy.” Yeah? Then why does it look like you’re a robot who has only heard of emotions like happy and sad?
• So Jen is gone. I miss her already. The finale will be worse without her, at least in my opinion. Also, that means Bill’s horse in this race is out. Woo and a hoo. See you for the final episode.

No comments: