Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Enough with Jennifer Hudson

Maybe I'll sound like an idiot, but I just want people to know for sure that I really am. Now that you know that about me, I think you should also know that I can't stand Jennifer Hudson.
My hatred for her goes way back to when she was on American Idol. To this day, that remains to be the only season I've only watched. It started when my friend Rick commented that I was on the show in the form of red head John Stevens. Stevens sang old songs, which was what reminded Rick of me. Well, I'm so sick that I began watching and living through John...
Anyway, Hudson was knocked off a week before Stevens and everyone made a stink about what a travesty that was. So what if she had a better voice? He had better hair. So what if it was a singing competition? He was more popular. Just because he should have been voted off doesn't mean I need to feel bad for Hudson. In fact, I began to resent her because she generated a lot of resentment towards my boy. (I have his debut cd).
Then she was in Dream Girls, which was ok I guess. Don't really think it was better than THE TEMPTATIONS movie from the late 90s, but I guess that's just a matter of choice. I did not think Hudson was great in the movie. She was up against a bunch of nobodies and Cate Blanchett, for her Oscar and all the buzz meant Hudson was getting it.
First of all, Blanchett always deserves to win. She could have done Hudson's role. I'm sure of it. Second, I don't think Hollywood should glamorize fat people. Besides the fact that I'd rather look at Beyonce, I really mean that i don't think she's overcoming any major obstacles in her life by being fat. You can lose weight.
Also, I'm not overly impressed with her voice. Wow! She hits the big notes. She goes for it when she sings. Leaves everything on the stage. Um no. She's no better than Jennifer Hudson-lite on GLEE, who even sang the big DREAM GIRLS song on GLEE. Was there a difference? No, except that the teen didn't get an award and she's probably a better actor.

Finally, and most damning in my opinion, was Hudson's role as Louise in the Sex and the City movie. I hate this movie. I hate it so much. Even if Hudson was great in the movie I would have not liked her. Well she wasn't great. She was annoying. I wanted to poison the next handbag she got in the mail. She just rubbed me the wrong way. If you wanted more of an articulate argument, then you're reading the wrong blog.
By the way, all of this stems from a picture I saw of her on the AOL Today page. No idea what it was in reference to, but I can only hope that she has announced her retirement.
Beyonce is a better singer/actor (Single Ladies/Austin Powers: GOld Member). That's why she gets her picture in, and Jennifer Hudson is absent from this post.

2 comments:

Lea87 said...

you sound so fuckin stupid.. how surprising that you're a beyonce fan.. which means everything in this post is a bunch of bull shit..

Pop Culture Kid said...

Someone besides Steve posted!!!! SO EXCITED!!!
What do i do now? Respond, I guess.
Ok, I will concede that mine is not a well argued opinion. That's not surprising since it stems from my gut, which has secretly been trying to kill me with poor food choices most of my life.
Also, were you being sarcastic about Beyonce? Sarcasm doesn't translate well in print without italics, quotes or unless it is painfully obvious.
Finally, I would say that Beyonce is what she is. She's a commercial icon, while Jennifer tries to be an "artist." Well she's not an artist. She's a failed commercial star who is trying some rebranding, which will ultimately fail since she's not artistic (code for talented).