Thursday, December 10, 2009

Gladware Champion

It all comes down to tonight’s final challenge between the three finalists on TOP Chef. I’m rooting hard for Bryan, who I picked to win after the first episode. I won’t be devastated if he loses, but I’ll be heartbroken if I have to watch him lose to his brother and experience that shame.
Without further delay let’s get on with the show…
• There were “a lot of bad ass cooks,” Eli. I think this season will stand out, at least in my mind, as the one with the deepest cast of contestants. There were five potential winners, and a whole host of other qualified candidates that could throw their weight around with the big dogs. Although my comparison is only based on watching two seasons of Top Chef, so I might not be the authority on this issue.
I like the challenge of the first course, where all three chefs have the same ingredients. This gives Michael a chance to backup his claim that Kevin’s food is too simple, since he can really outshine him here. Or it could blow up in his face, if Kevin is able to deliver better flavor with the same ingredients. Bryan will just be Bryan. Speaking of which, I think his brother has a higher ceiling, but Bryan remains at a high level of excellence and avoids the valleys.
• Love Michael trying to come up with something nice to say about his helper. I wonder how many takes it took him before he finally arrived at his backhanded compliment. Bryan, on the other hand, basically drooled about working with Jen. Kevin got a wild card, and I’m interested in seeing how Preeti (that might be right) works out. The distribution this way is not fair. I don’t think it necessarily proves who is the Top Chef.
• In the second round of knife drawing Kevin got hosed again and Bryan picked up another winner. Ash is a good follower, which is ok for Kevin, but Bryan got someone super creative in Ashely. (Did I mention my crush on Ashley?). As for Eli going to Mike, I think he’s just happy he didn’t get Robin. Eli is good, but it doesn’t really matter since Mike is going to be so hand’s on. I can’t imagine him delegating too much authority.
• Kevin says he’s getting mad, and I’m worried how that will manifest itself. We could have our first Top Chef murder.
• Love the fact that the chefs expect a curveball. And they get one, in that they get a curveball by not getting a cuveball. Did that make sense? I have trouble with baseball analogies. Knuckleball?
• Mrs. V has some wild eyes! Curveball! Kevin’s mom is obviously Kevin’s mom. Although I wouldn’t have been surprised if she had a beard too. Fastball!
• I feel like some of the Top Chef contestants would make for good television personalities with their own cooking shows. Southern home cooking with Kevin. Creative creations with Mike.
• Here comes a curveball with Tom! Oh, and he hung the ball over the plate with a challenge that isn’t really too hard. Can’t tell if Mike is being genuine about his childhood memories, but if he is then he is winning points in my book. Almost explains why he has this tough outer shell. What an aww moment, and with the most unlikely person.
• I need to give props to Mike again, this time regarding how well thought out his dishes are. This guy is playing to win, and is demonstrating a real strategy.
• Kevin sounds like he planned his dessert with Jim Gaffigan in mind. If you don’t know, that’s a reference to their shared love of bacon. If he really wanted to please Jim he’s make a hot pocket with bacon in it
• Bryan wins. That’s it. Kevin didn’t blow them away with any ideas or execution. Mike’s performance was marred by the low lows. I think Bryan will win.
• “I was the underdog that showed if you fight really hard you can make it, and it just didn’t go all the way.” Love the sentiment Kevin, even if it contradicts itself.
• Damn! I just paused it as Padma said Michael. He won. They’re trying to throw us another one of those curveballs, except we know it is coming. I hope I’m wrong. But I’m not.
• There it is. BOOOOOOOO. BOOOOOOOOOOO. (Ok, he deserved it)
• Wow, this is actually touching. The mom hugging the two boys. The music. Gail. Oh sweet Gail. Tobey even looks choked up. Love that Mike gives a shout out to Padma about emotion. Anyone who thinks they weren’t banging is fooling themselves.

So it says that some eliminations were discussed with Bravo. Going to say that the week Mike bombed, producers refused to let him be eliminated. Makes sense if you consider the whole body of his work.
• “I’m happy and sad.” Classic Mike.
• I’ll have final thoughts next week when they recap it with the cast.
• What did you think????

No comments: