Friday, October 9, 2009

So that's why they're so mad...

All caught up on Mad Men. Went through five episodes in two days to get ready for this Sunday.
A couple side notes before I address the show itself.
1. AMC needs to create an AMC On Demand or replay old episodes occasionally. It's like they don't want people to watch the show. These serial dramas with big casts requires you not to miss an episode and they're making that difficult.
2. Mad Men is a show that torments you if you're watching it on a weekly basis. Tony kornheiser was talking about this fact on Bill Simmons' podcast, which i recommend and should probably write about. Tony opts to watch the show all at once on DVD, as opposed to watching it live. Especially after u see the previews for next week it becomes nearly impossible to wait for the next episode. I think Lost, 24 and True Blood are the same way. If i think about it more there are probably other shows.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on Mad Men...
I like seeing the Pete is a real person. I have always thought of him as a robot, but the way he loses it with his wife when she returns after he cheated on her made me see him in a new light. It was reminiscent of his role when he dealt with his mother. Too often i think he becomes a caricature of himself on the show and this keeps him grounded.
Love it when Cooper puts his foot down. This time it was about Don't contract, which Don ultimately signed after Cooper's prodding. We don't know much about him, like what he does, but he is interesting and kills it in every scene.
I don't understand Betty and Don. That's all I have to say about that. No idea why he ever settled down or fell in love with her in the first place. Maybe he was just tired of running? From flashbacks it seems like he was very enamored with her at one point, but now she's just a burden
Sally has really become a potent character on the show. I think I like it. There better be some payoff with her role or I'll feel betrayed.
Earlier in the year i sort of predicted Roger's falling out with Don. Roger was amusing to Don for a while, but now Don is tired of him because he's gone too far. He was an enjoyable nuisance in the past and now he's worn out his welcome. This could be explosive.
Oh yeah, I've always been wary of lawn mowers in the work place.
I liked how Needameyer had a guest spot as the mayor that Betty was dealing with. Probably spelling his character from Animal House's name wrong, but it was definitely him. Thought he would start yelling about pledge pins at any second.
That's it for now since I want to watch Flash Forward and have nothing else to say.

No comments: