Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Life Support induced Boredom

So I want to like HBO's new comedy, Bored to Death. The premise is interesting enough. The actors all have good reputations. The story lines are pretty engaging. My main problem stems from the show's star, Jason Schwartzman.
In all honesty I haven't like Jason since he starred in Rushmore and had a cameo on an episode of Freaks and Geeks. I'm convinced he is just playing a version of himself in everything, and frankly, I don't care for him. I think he's annoying, snooty and so hard to feel anything for. Jason isn't helped by his role in Bored to Death, which seems to exemplify everything I hate about him.
It's sad how good this show could be without Schwartzman. Zak Galifianakis and Ted Danson kill in their supporting roles and the guest stars have always been spot on. Galifianakis in particular seems to be in his comfort zone, as he thrives with such activities as donating his sperm or doing things with his butt. Danson also owns his role and seems to have too much fun with every ridiculous line. Really excited for Galifianakis and Danson to share some screen time and exchange lines.
I'm going to keep watching this show, in part because I think their is potential. If the show embraces some its more wacky aspects it could really catch on with me. Plus, there's always the chance Schwartzman will grow on me through this constant exposure. Well that's actually not likely, but maybe the show could overcome the detraction that is Jason Schwartzman. Because even while he tries to kill the show, I'd say it still has a feint pulse.

No comments: