Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dinner party chefs

So it’s time for another episode of “Top Chef.” This late post is because I’m not watching it until Saturday afternoon. Is that a bad thing?
• A couple things of note: Michael had his first kid when he was 21. Yikes. Jen will have to overcome some serious adversity in this episode (she’s sick), and since the producers are highlighting this she’ll either win or get kicked off. My guess is win because she’s a serious competitor.
It seems odd to me that Tyler Florence is the guest judge. Rarely is there any crossover between Food Network and Top Chef. He is a rare exception, as is the super gay guy on Food Network who appeared on Top Chef Masters. You know who I mean, the guy who always puts on parties! I would love to see Bobby Flay as a guest judge or Rachel Ray, and hear what the Top Chef contestants think about these more prolific chefs.
• SO in real life Padma is pregnant. The intrigue is that no one knows who the father is! Well, I guess she knows, but she’s not telling. All I can say is that it was either Tom or Michael. We already know that Michael is fertile so that would make sense and the sexual tension between Tom and Padma is palpable.
• The fact that Robin keeps bringing up the fact that other people don’t think she should be there means to me that she has her own doubts. No one would harp on it this much if they didn’t think there was some ring of truth. Is she trying to garner sympathy or what? I hope she gets kicked off. The only interesting part of her is the spite she generates from Jen, Laurine and Eli. Eli is currently my favorite for his riff on Robin’s cancer shtick last week. For this week’s quickfire one of her characteristics was stressed and I’m 95% sure she’ll reference cancer in her dish’s description.
• Shouldn’t it be “Utensils down and hands up?”
• Very excited that Kevin chose money over immunity. On “the Apprentice” he would be fired for such a decision, but here, where talent wins it is the right move. Kevin is one of the 6 strongest chefs and with Robin still around he should be safe. Really liked Kevin before this and now he has reaffirmed him position as a personal favorite. He is a potential fan favorite, as are Michael and Bryan, Jen, Eli and maybe Ash. No standouts like Fabio in last season. It will be interesting to see what happens there.
• I like it when reality tv plays out so perfectly and it doesn’t look like the producers set it up. Michael, who hates Robin a ton, has been teamed up with Robin for the elimination challenge! There will be a total explosion. So excited. Is there anyway Robin is on next week? I say no. Even if they stink it up, she’ll go home because he’s routinely been better.
• No idea who is going home at this point. My gut says Ashley, Ash or Michael V are gone. Based on the opening scenes I would say that Michael V is gone and Jen wins.
• I’ve said this before, but the throwaway segments on “Top Chef” are ultimate gold. These 1 to 3 minutes clips that humanize the characters as we see into their lives should get more time. They must have enough footage to air another hour of television. This episode had Robin and Mike A strengthening their rapport, whereby Mike just lets her think out loud. HILARIOUS! Come on Bravo, Friday nights should be when you show more original Top Chef footage. I want it and I’m sure you have it.
• Ash is going home. He is doing terribly at judge’s table. Tom is going to rip him apart for all his compliments to Michael. They’ll send Ash home because he’s reached a ceiling ability-wise. This was a theme brought up during the episode. Ash totally knew he messed up. Michael knew that Ash saved him. Wow. Not sure who would have gone home otherwise. Maybe I’m wrong, though, they really hated Ashley and Eli’s execution. Regardless I still think Ash is gone.
• Looks like I was wrong. Ashley is gone. I definitely underestimated how much they hated her prawns. Ash now seems very vulnerable for next week. He hasn’t quite joined Robin’s level in the basement, but he’s definitely rising up anymore.
• Next week’s episode looks great! We learn which chef is Robin’s child! (Spoiler alert: Aren’t we all Robin’s children?)

No comments: