Monday, October 26, 2009

Killshot Experience


So I came home one night to find my roommates (Barb and Jim) watching the recently released KILLSHOT. I was instantly drawn to the movie because it had Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it, who I will watch in anything. Instead of just diving into the movie, though, I decided to wait and read the book first.
The book of the same name is by Elmore Leonard. I think I read something by him a long time ago, but I can't be sure. He's one of those authors with a solid reputation and a whole list of books that became movies (Big Bounce, Get Short, 3:10 to Yuma) (Just realized the other one i read was Big Bounce, which was fair, but a masterpiece compared to the movie).
SO I read the book, which was fair. I'm not some great literary mind, so I don't know how to appropriately critique the book. The story held my interest, even though it was dated (there aren't cellphones) and unrolled in a herky-jerky fashion. All in all I thought the book was ok, not something I'd recommend and not something I'd steer people away from. I think my main problem was the illogical way things unfold that doesn't seem to represent a coherent series of events.
THe best part of the book is the relationship between Wayne and Carmen. Their rapport seems to capture a married couple in a strained relationship, which is being tested further by homicidal maniacs. I relish this dynamic even more after seeing the movie, which alters the couple into some cookie cutter pair that only exists in the minds of bad screen writers.
The killers are also a strong point in the story. Their interactions are amusing and tumultuous. They definitely command your interest, especially with Richie, who puts the psycho in psychopath.
Now to the movie, which is bad. I would tell people to avoid this movie at all costs. Actually, I'd say watch the movie with a hand on the remote, so you can fastforward through the boring parts (most of it) and just watch the scenes with Levitt. He absolutely steals every scene he's in and is in a role like you've never seen before. He plays Richie, and kicks the character up a notch from the book. As portrayed by Levitt you get a better realization for Richie than Leonard could write. With his scruffy beard, penchant for pulling the trigger and motormouth style he is the only bright light in the movie.
Now for the bad, and I really can't undersell this point. First of all the story is formulaic and boring. THe screenwriter took out everything from the novel that gave it its identity and trades it in for things he's seen in other movies. For instance, to sell the marital strife he decides that Wayne and Carmen are unable to have a child.
There is little flash to begin with in the book and it doesn't get much better on the big screen. None of the scenes are nearly as intense as they were when I read them, which could be the writing or could be the acting.
The acting definitely makes the writing worse, as aside from Levitt the actors basically stink. I don't know why Mickey Rourke gets credit for being a good actor or was chosen to play a native american. Diane Lane seems lost along side anyone other than Richard Gere, which doesn't help Tom Jane play her estranged husband. Jane, who is supposed to play a grizzled blue collar worker ends up looking more like an L.L. Bean model.
But the worse offender in the movie is Rosario Dawson. Anyone who thinks she is a good actress should have their head examined. Her only good talent, her looks, are wasted in this movie, as she's supposed to play ugly. I can't say enough bad things about her, which is sad since she's not in the movie very long, but i guess that explains how awful she is. I will never understand why she was cast in this role (or in CLERKS II).
This actually could have been a compelling film if Levitt had been surrounded with competent actors and the movie done as an indie. Aidin Quinn wouldn't be bad as Wayne Colsen and I could see Robin Wright Penn Playing his wife (they did it before in EMPIRE FALLS). Melissa Leo could play Rosario Dawson's role, which was conceived as an older girlfriend for Richie and really works that way with Leo. Most importantly we would need someone else to play the indian Rourke is supposed to be. Rourke is actually close, but he's not quite right and he only makes it worse by his stiffness. Adam Beach isn't big enough or scary enough and Wes Studi is too old and also not big enough. I'd like Keith Carradine if he was a little younger, but alas he is old and frail. I actually would liked to have seen Val Kilmer in this role. Apparently he has some Cherokee blood from a great grandmother and I think with a little time tanning he could have killed in this role.
No reason to cry over spilled milk now, though, as I can't get back the time I wasted and they're never making my version of the movie. All in all I'd say avoid both the book and the movie. If I had to make a similar recommendation I'd say read and watch NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.

No comments: