Thursday, April 29, 2010

Time To Erase This Family

I think it was around ninth grade when my family's cat of 20 years began to show signs that death was imminent. There were a few false alarms, which were followed by periods of rejuvenation and misguided hope. Ultimately, though, Angie's life became intolerable and we put her down.
If we had been honest with ourselves we never should have let things go as far as they did. Angie probably suffered more than she had to at the end, and let's face it, this isn't a person we're talking about.
But in the order of putting something out of their misery the chain doesn't merely go humans and then cats in order of difficulty of decision. Below cats are probably a whole host of other animals, namely ones that are more often eaten, and then tv shows. Specifically in this instance, THE SIMPSONS.
(Editor's Note: Wow, that was a long setup for basically nothing. I think someone is feeling some residual guilt about killing his cat. It's that or he's still drunk from last night and this makes sense to him.)
I was a devout follower of the THE SIMPSONS for about six years, and then my interest tapered off in college. It was around that time that I began collecting the DVDs from the shows renaissance period and had my love of the show reaffirmed forever.
But while I loved the good times, I've also suffered through some pretty terrible times, which could included the last 6 years of the show. It just hasn't been funny. It has relied on nostalgia and super sweet story lines to putter along towards the record of longest running scripted show.
When THE SIMPSONS movie came out, and I found it funny, I thought there was hope. Maybe they still had some juice left in them. Now it seems like that was the writers' last bit of funny they had left, because the show has been pretty terrible in the wake of that brief blip of funny.
Sure, there have been the occasional laughs and positive signs, but after the most recent episode of THE SIMPSONS I'm ready to officially abandon ship. It's probably too late for me, though, as I've basically ridden this sinking vessel to the bottom of the ocean. While I'm happy to finally get this weight off my back and move on with my life, I will say it was a good ride overall.
(Editor's Note: THe Lombardo's cat, Stewart, is looking for a new home. He is terrified that they have become cold blooded killers and will slaughter him at the first sign of weakness.)

No comments: