Sunday, April 4, 2010

American Idol in 12 minutes

I have watched one season of American Idol in my life. It was the year John Stevens was participating, and Fantasia won.
Yet while I've never sat through another season or watched an episode from another season, I do follow the show to a certain extent and I'm aware of the show's history. Off the top of my head I can name these winners: Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Reuben Studdard, Fantasia, Taylor hicks, David Cook and Kris Allen.
(Editor's Note: David forgot the immortal Jordin Sparks.)
In recent months I've been getting my news about American Idol (AI) from Tony Kornheiser's radio show. His coverage is generally pretty brief and narrow in scope, as he usually doesn't watch entire episodes. (The show ends after his bedtime.)
From this exposure I've gleaned that Crystal is good and everyone else sucks. It wasn't until i did more digging that i realized how true that statement is. Crystal is really talented and I could imagine buying her record. The rest of the crew should be off doing Karaoke in bars.
But I'm not going to talk about AI right now. What I want to talk about is the new way i ingest AI, which is through a feature of Entertainment Weekly called "IDOLATRY." IDOLATRY is a video presentation by two EW staff writers that runs under the special cover of AI that the magazine provides online. It is simply amazing.
The commentary features Annie Barrett and Michael Slezak, who offer the everyman's rational opinion interspersed with humorous videos. The writers are very snarky and have a good grip on what is good music and good television.
I also like that they provide all the relevant video from the actual show. I see the meaningful song moments, critiques and additional footage that allows me to get the gist of the show and form an opinion.
Right now I'm going to sit down and watch an old IDOLATRY episode from 2009. Here's the link: http://www.ew.com/ew/video/0,,20312226_20312230,00.html?bcpid=75296530001&bclid=60711674001&bctid=74356311001 .

No comments: