Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Man in Locke wants you!

(Editor's Note: Dave was bleeding from the nose while watching this episode, so it may not make any sense. Luckily, regular readers shouldn't recognize a difference.)
• Just caught the last second of the Dancing With The Stars results show. It appears that Kate was sent home, but the real losers in this are her kids.
• Love the idea that Jack deferred to Hurley. I hope he had a good time captaining the ship, but now daddy’s home and he’s psyched up to make some decisions that will get a lot of people killed (e.g. Get on that boat, we got to go back, and we got to blow up a bomb).
• I feel like I’m cheating on a test, because we’re getting answers! It has now been confirmed (with some room for doubt) that the Man in Black (MiB) is the one masquerading as dead people. I think I believe him, if only because he knew where Christian led Jack. Still a little confused about whether he pretended to be Dave, since that guy existed in Hurley’s mind…. My guess: Dave, donning bathrobe and slipper will return as real head honcho of the island. (kidding)
• Totally forgot about Sun! This coincides perfectly with my theory that all the Losties will be coming together in the sideways world. Hopefully, though, we don’t have a CTU situation here where there’s only one capable surgeon and someone ends up dying. Good thing Charlie hasn’t killed Ethan yet, because he could come in handy, especially if we need to stick someone with a needle.
• “It’s him!” Apparently sideway Sun should be called Conscious-Sun, because she recognizes Locke.
• It’s a family reunion! What a happy moment, except for the fact that Claire wants to kill Kate, her possible sister in law. Her logic is flawed though, since Richard resisted the urge to join MiB after he heard his spiel. However, I do find it amusing that Mr. Freewill can supposedly remove someone’s free will by talking to them…
As if I didn’t have a big enough boner already (always a full two inches when watching LOST), they bring back the Star Wars references! Plus it’s great to have Han (Sawyer) and Chewbacca (Hurley) reunited.
• Here’s the plan sideways Kate: When you’re in the holding cell you can have hot cage sex with Sawyer. Not sure what this accomplishes, but it sounds hot… On a more serious note, I love that Sideways Sawyer references their run in and contemplates fate.
• “Here we go.” You’re darn right Man in Locke. Maybe not as compelling as Heath Ledger’s, “And here we go,” in the Dark Knight.
• I’ve brought this up in the past, but I think it is worth repeating: Ilana is a babe. Her, Libby and Naomi make up the underrated All-Stars. Their rival would be Kate, the overrated hussy who needs to die, ASAP.
• Vintage LaFleur! I missed this guy so much. It’s nice to know he was working a long con on MiL, especially since he appeared mentally checked out after Juliet died.
• Sideways Sawyer is totally around back. Nice to be validated.
• “Of course note, it’s a terrible idea.” Sawyer delivers my favorite line of the night, and also points out what an idiot Kate is for the double whammy. Sawyer is the only one on this show who has ever been able to appreciate his surroundings and adequately judge the people around him, as evident by the fact he realizes Claire is a lost cause and Sayid’s a zombie. By the way Kate, who did you make this promise to? And another thing Kate, is Loreal pissed that your hair looks so terrible on the island? And finally, will you please kill yourself?
• I don’t think Claire wants to get abandoned again. I wonder what will happen. Are there different levels of crazy? Like now she’s crazy enough to still play connect four with Hurley, but pretty soon she’ll be rambling off numbers? 95,81,80,76,72,20. (Spoiler Alert: That’s Kate’s decreasing IQ through the seasons)
• No way Sayid killed Desmond. Pretty soon we’ll be spelling redemption, S-A-Y-I-D!
• Anyone else bothered by the LOST finale airing on a Sunday? I’m pretty pissed. On a sidenote: I want to put together a LOST party. WE’ll have dharma rum, nicknames and bathing suits for everyone!
• At this point I’m pretty confident that Jack’s ex-wife is Juliet. It’s his prodigy son’s blue eyes that give it away. That and Elizabeth Mitchell’s complete absence from any of the sideways stories so far. It won’t be his normal ex-wife, since that won’t mean anything to us.
• What is making this boat go? The sails aren’t up. Is there an engine?
• “Doesn’t feel right.” Classic Jack. Love that he’s going with his gut again. His “the island’s not done with us yet,” line is reminiscent about Eloise’s proclamation about Desmond. I think he is right. I’ve always been a Jacobite, and for the first time it feels like Jack is actually in touch with my god. WE’RE HEADING TOWARD A FACEOFF BETWEEN MiL AND JACK, which will basically be a substitute for the MiB and Jacob standoff. Now more than ever I’m also convinced there is a higher power on the island, a referee of sorts. Right now there are four people playing the game, or at least aware of it, and they’re MiL, Jacob, Widmore and Eloise.
• Three things: Jack should have gotten run over by the boat and guy’s love jumping into that water to get away Kate. (That’s why he jumped, right?) The third thing is how quickly LaFleur became season four Jack, with his intense desire to get off the island. This is pretty depressing, unless of course Sawyer gets to grow a beard.
• My heart stopped for about a minute, as we finally got the reunion we’ve been waiting for since we learned Jin was alive in season five. The payoff didn’t reach the epic proportions we saw in the season four finale when Penny and Desmond saw each other, but it was still sweet.
I had basically given up hope at this point that their reunion was even in the cards anymore, so I’ll take what I can get.

And that’s basically it. Before I comment on the tone and flow of this episode, which reminded me of earlier episodes before the show was steeped so heavily in its own mythology, I want to talk about the sideways story.
Until now I haven’t had a real theory about the sideways world, except for the idea that it stemmed from the detonation of Jughead. But now I’m ready to posit the beginning of a theory, and it doesn’t involve Jughead. I think Jughead was a red herring, as far as the sideways story is concerned, and that it only served to transport out Losties through time.
The real initiation for the sideways story hasn’t happened yet. I think it will play out in the finale, and the sideways story will be a consequence of actions on the island in that episode. This makes more sense than dual realities occurring at the same time, since you’ve got dead characters and Desmond’s attitude on the island. His attitude could reflect his belief that whatever happens on the island is meaningless, as they’ll ultimately end up in the sideways reality.
After saying all that, though, I don’t think the end game is the sideways story. Actions there will end up being the deciding factor for the island, which is why sideways (conscious?)-Eloise was so adamant about Desmond’s path. It felt like she had plans for the Losties, and my guess is that they involve restoring the correct order.
How this ties into cask’o’wine and everything else, I don’t know.
Finally, this was an episode not really weighed down by the lore of the show. Sure, we got answers, but they weren’t the focus. This episode relied heavily on action, like something from the end of season four when we were dealing with the people on the freighter. I’ve made this comparison earlier, and I think it deserves real consideration. Both situations involve Widmore’s water traveling vehicles and characters faced with the choice of leaving/serving on the island. Plus, in both cases I doubt the intentions of Widmore. He still hasn’t answered for the first time he tried to destroy the island…
So what did you think about the episode? Excited about where the show’s heading? Like this format again??? Ilana is hot, right????

1 comment:

Unknown said...

another boner joke? really now.