Thursday, November 12, 2009

Top Chef: Stripping off the fat

So Mike Isabella is gone and Robin is still around to lay one more stinker of a performance. I’m not bothered by this development, as Mike I never could have won and at least Robin guarantees some comedic gold. My only hope for this episode is that Jen doesn’t continue her supernova routine and Bryan makes it to the next round.
• I love that Bryan misses his family, but the lead is worrying me. Will he not want to win? Is the fire dying out? I doubt it. Sort of blowing my mind that Mike V has a nephew, let alone his own kid. Think he swears at him?
• I’ve always been an advocate of airing additional footage as its own show and I’ve never been a fiercer advocate of this idea than when I think about Nigella and Padma in bed.
Literally, we wouldn’t need sound or any sort of story, just a security cam as they walk around in the room. That seems watchable right? In more practical terms, though, this show might help us understand some of the tension that seems unwarranted on the show, specifically surrounding Mike V and Robin. Obviously he’s been a dick to her, but she seems unusually perturbed with him and I want to know why! GIVE US MORE FOOTAGE!! Maybe the ladies can get an episode where the V brothers are in bathrobes.
• Will no one make waffles? Or how about a sausage with a pancake wrapped around it on a stick? That is what makes the best chef. I think I would have done breakfast buffet.
• And a meaningless quickfire win for Eli. It’s hilarious watching him try to get excited about his quickfire prize, which is making it into a cookbook. Nay, the quickfire cookbook. I think he would have rather won a cookbook, since that has actual value.
• Where is the legalized prostitution challenge? I’m making crab legs. Get it?
• Better yet we could do a gambling theme? Undercook meat as a way to bet your life. Eh?
• Would love to hang out with Jen. Not just because she’s hot, but because she’s funny. She has a viscous wit, which I’m actually afraid of her. She might turn on me. Her and Eli would probably make me cry.
• Speaking of Eli, he is worrying way too much about the theme of his dish. It doesn’t matter! Robin will say she had cancer and Bryan V will spew something that doesn’t make sense, regardless of the supposed themes. Just cook something creative and good. Don’t let it get in your head Eli.
• GE MONOGRAM. (Just throwing that at you the way the show does)
• Chicken wing is a New York staple? Maybe a buffalo wing is New York. The apple is the only distinctive food from New York.
• Robin sabotaging her food is simply a nickname for her cooking. Because she can’t help but produce crap.
• Is no one going to do the Hotel buffet? Isn’t that a big deal in Vegas? On the plus side it would make it easy to feed 175 people. A big vat of pasta. Big thing of potatoes. A meat. Some Blue (always a weird one). You’re done.
• Mike V is betting that he doesn’t have to serve everyone at once. Why does he think that? He could get overrun.
• So Robin has no confidence in her dish, but likes the theme of it. Huh? Still a cooking show, right?
• Is it too soon for me to gloat about Bryan V winning this challenge? All signs point to my boy not just coasting through, but making it to the next round with authority.
• So Eli has left the middle with a big swing for the fences. Tom definitely respected the gamble and I think Tobey will defend him too. Any other episode this could ruin him, but I think Jen and Robin will give him cover.
• Tonight’s top three are definitely the cream of the crop. At this point I would be very surprised if they were not in the finals. Jen was in this class early on, but for some reason, whether it is her lack of confidence or unified vision, she has taken a step back.
• MIKE V. NO!!!!! I can’t believe he upset his brother. Padma is a winner here too, because I’m sure she’ll go with Mike on his trip to the vineyard. Could be some tension in the room as Bryan laments another loss at judge’s table to his brother. His younger brother. His obnoxious younger brother.
• Jen is vulnerable because of her attitude in previous attitudes. Tom, who has typically been an ardent defender has cooled on her lately, so he could be the swing judge. He seemed to excuse her dish and attack Robin, which makes me think Jen is safe. Bye Robin.
• There is no way Eli goes home. The judges stuck it to him, but this slipup shouldn’t exceed the continually poor work of Jen and Robin.
• Nigella looks like she could be Gail’s older sister.
• Robin “doesn’t know how to play it safe.” Ha! She can’t play at all. She’s not only in the minors, but she’s playing quidditch while everyone else is playing baseball.
• Oh god. They hated Eli’s dish. So nervous. The producers do a great job making it look like anyone could go. Sticking with Robin as my castoff, regardless of Tom’s recap.
• Ding Dong the witch is dead! Actually that’s not really appropriate. More like, Sanjaya is finally gone or the kid who has skated by in a spelling bee with words like “apple” and “banana.” I will definitely miss Robin’s comedic timing and delivery.
• The upcoming excitement for me will revolve around the battle between Jen and Eli. As far as Eli is concerned, he could win or poison someone. Jen’s performance will be evident from early on in the episode, as her attitude is a telltale sign of how she’ll do.

No comments: