Thursday, November 19, 2009

Speidi sense is tingling

I have almost zero exposure to Heidi and Spenser. Never seen the show they're originally famous for, which was THE HILLS or LAGUNA BEACH. I don't know anything about them, except my own preconceived notions that I've gleaned from coverage of them in the press.
Basically they're publicity whores. They're not talented, unless you consider remaining relevant a talent. Unfortunately that's all it takes.
Anyway, they were on THE TONIGHT SHOW with Conan O'Brien, so I received my first real experience with them. From this I've decided they're an act. They might be geniuses. There is no way Spenser is as awful as he seems, or at least if he is, he is smart enough to realize that this persona will keep him interesting and keep him famous.
Case in point, he announces that he's changing his name to King Spenser. Maybe that's a gimmick to make people hate him or maybe he really wants to do it, but either way it keeps them in the news. These two posses enough self-awareness to understand why they're famous and how to hold on to that fame.
To their credit, though, they haven't done anything illegal (balloon baby family) and haven't had to release a sex tape (Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton, my soon to be released dalliance). So I applaud their ability to create something from nothing. Consequently, I am shocked by our country's intrigue in this duo. It's disgusting. Americans are in large part pathetic. We've propped up Spedi to the point where they become the couple we love to hate.
The interview is pretty painful to watch. It is very awkward and you can tell Conan wants to eviscerate them with his wit, except it would be very hypocritical since he has them on his show. It's still funny though.
That's enough time spent on these two morons.

No comments: