Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bye Bye Eli (Sung to Bye Bye Birdie)

Oh Robin, you’re gone. You weren’t a bad chef, just comically out of your league towards the end. Do I think you should come back as a Top Chef announcer, of course I do. You ramble like one of Sarah Palin’s best speeches and that should never be forgotten. Without further ado, let’s jump right in. I think Jen was about to self-destruct, Kevin was using secret ingredients he hides in his beard and Mike V was swearing at someone while Bryan V broke into his state of zen…
• Kevin is married??? I bet they’re one of those couples that look the same! That would be awesome. Either that or she’s a smoking hot babe. According to one of my friend’s he is “cute,” so I guess it’s not beyond the realm of possibilities that he snagged a babe. Plus who knows what he’s packing … in the kitchen, as far as sausage goes. I meant links or patties by the way.
• Not encouraged by Jen’s attitude. “Hopefully I can pull it out.” Does that sound like a winner? Jen was at her best when she had her swagger. She was like Larry Bird, just dumping on her opponents and then backing it up. I miss that Jen. I miss Larry Bird too.
• I thought the most serious cooking challenge was Iron Chef? I mean going up against Bobby Flay or Cat Cora, c’mon.

• They’re going to make a TurDucEn. John Madden just wet himself somewhere. Michael V just rejects the premise of this challenge. I love it. Padma is wet too … from the water… she spilled. Speaking of which, this guest is pretty hot, albeit Kevin or Eli’s height (they are hobits).
• Padma said “welcome back” to Jen! That just blew my mind on so many levels. The first, because it acknowledges that Jen really might be returning to her old form. More importantly, it shows that Padma really has some awareness of what’s going on. She’s not just a pretty face, but an important of the show, who is also smoking hot.
• I was a little put off by Bryan putting Kevin down, but he saved himself by acknowledging he does it well. Phew. Hated the idea that I couldn’t root for him for a second.
• Love love love that Michael V got called out for not doing the challenge. This guest judge is going to be great. All the judges are on their game. I bet Tom even polished his head for tonight’s episode.
• Wow, Padma towers over the iron chef judge.
• Mirror platter? I’ve been told that the only thing that’s good for is doing blow. I’d argue that you could also mount it in your bedroom.
• Al l the male contestants have product in their hair. I never really noticed that. Even Kevin has something propping up his hair.
• I’m becoming famished watching Top Chef. Hoping I can quell my hunger by chewing gum.
• Kevin asked for help? What does he think this is? He sounds like Robin. It’s a good thing Michael V is sleeping, because he would have verbally berated him for seeking advice. In all seriousness, though, it does shake my confidence that Kevin will be in the top three. I’m glad Bryan worked with Kevin, because it gives me more of a reason to root for him. He is self-aware, as he acknowledges that to not help, especially when the other person knows he could, would be the move of a “prick” or his brother. I may have added the last part, but Bryan definitely danced around that reality. It’s amazing how different their values are and how far off their moral compasses are. Michael is a prick.

This is a very tense kitchen. They need Nick Swisher to come in and liven things up. Maybe give Jen a pie in the face (Only Yankee fans will understand this).
• I’m glad that Michael V didn’t pass up a chance to take a shot at Kevin. Would have been disappointed if he didn’t stay true to form.
• Tom and Jen have real chemistry. I’m smelling a spin off. In all honesty, it’s nice to see Jen confident enough to take time to talk to him. A little reassuring. Not a home run, but solid contact. Yup, more baseball metaphors.
• The bald guest judge obviously doubles as an evil villain and Tom’s body double. Sidenote: Super glad to see Gail back. Nigella didn’t compare to her.
• Based solely on presentation I’m blown away by Michael’s dish. It looks too good to eat and based on the reaction of the judges I don’t think anyone should have eaten it. He will definitely be vulnerable at judge’s table. I’m not worried. More excited to see him on the defensive.
• Apparently Bryan is coachable, which makes him better than Allen Iverson (that’s a basketball reference). Even though he screwed up the execution of his dish, it seems to be well received. And there’s the additional bonus of Tom picking up Bryan for his pickup basketball team against the Food Network stars (I assume that’s why he asked about the coachability factor).
• Eli is getting slammed. Good bye little man. The interesting part of this is that Padma became his defender. Really impressed by her balls to jump in there with the big fish. New respect for her based on this episode.
• Jen is safe. She’s going to coast by based on the poor performances of Eli and Michael V.
• They have to clean the kitchen???? Oh my god. This is blowing my mind. Learning this reinforces my belief that there is a ton of footage on Top Chef that needs to be aired. They need at least one episode a week of additional footage. Maybe split up the episode or just air an episode based on non cooking footage. I would watch and if you’re reading this, you would too.
• If I won the competition Bravo has to bring someone and a friend to the food and wine expo I would choose my friend Bill. Bill is not one of my closest friends, but he makes the cut for three reasons. First of all, he watches the show and would get a kick out of it. Second, I feel like he would be a good wild card on a trip like this and since we’re pretty different he would show me something new (totally not in a gay way). Third, I think he deserves a shot at Jen if she was there. He picked her as his choice to win after the premiere, which is nice, but I honestly think he would take a legitimate run at her. Obviously I would have to settle for Padma.
• Thinking about last season I’m struck by two big things. Primarily the fact that this top five is better than last year’s top five. Following that point is how much better Jen is than Leah was. Leah made it way too far last season and was most likely kept around for her storyline with Hosea or because she was the only girl. But regarding the first point, Hosea, Bald Spanish Guy, Fabio, Leah and Jeff are pound for pound weaker than this year’s cast. Hosea was boring, and just did Spanish fish. Bald Spanish Guy, the German, (what was his name!), was technically sound and creative, but he wasn’t better than either of the V brothers. Jeff probably had the most potential of that bunch, but he couldn’t juggle all the balls at once. He was a poor man’s version of Michael V, with Jen’s attitude and looks. I miss Jeff. Heck, I miss all of last year’s cast. That really shows why this is such a good show. The contestants are competent and compelling.
INSERT: I fORGOT ABOUT CARLA! How could i forget the chef that couldn't cook. She was the zen version of Robin. Long story short she sucked. Funny story, my roommate Casey picked her to go the distance she was always being highlighted in the advertisements. Good reasoning, even if i mocked him then.
• This guest judge for the challenge definitely ate a small child as dessert before judge’s table.
Regardless of what he is saying, his tone and demeanor remind me of the villain from the Temple of Doom. The opposite could be said of Tom, who was almost the impetus for a tear jerker moment when he said he was proud of this crew.
• I thought Bryan was going to win, but based on judge’s table I don’t know what will happen. Obviously it’s rigged that way to add tension, yet I’m really at a loss as to who wins. I do think that Eli is going home. His dish was neither cooked properly nor really creative. That being said, I don’t think Michael will win because his dish just wasn’t that good. Bryan failed to execute. Kevin wasn’t creative enough. That leaves Jen. Wow, never thought I would predict Jen to win again, but that’s my prediction. She’ll sneak into victory, which doesn’t really make sense since these are tough judges.
• Still thinking about the judges. I think they’ll reward a good idea that wasn’t executed properly. Going back to Bryan. Bryan is my choice. I’m doing this because the winner gets to compete in iron chef, so they’ll want someone who showed some promise. Bryan is my choice and who I’m rooting for. Still planning on saying goodbye to Eli.
• Wow, it was Kevin. Not a bad choice, although he did demonstrate that there is a ceiling when it comes to his ability. I guess in this instance they were with good execution. Should have seen this coming, since early in the episode Bryan commented on the fact that while Kevin’s food may be simple, he does it well.
• Kevin is definitely fan favorite. He’s got it locked up.
• Stefan! That was the German.
• It’s a good thing Eli lasted longer than Robin, or he would have killed her.
• So now they should get drunk, which would make perfect material for my idea of an additional episode!
• Not too excited about Jen’s upcoming hairdo, or Padma’s for that matter. Thank god style gurus Kevin and Tom will be around.

No comments: