Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Office gets professional

Coming into the most recent episode of THE OFFICE I wasn't expecting much. This season I've been an ardent defender of the show, retaining faith that past glory was indicative of future results. But lately it has been harder and harder to find the funny in the show and it had become a chore to watch. I actually looked forward to PARKS and RECREATIONS more.
Well, my faith has been restored. I once was blind, but now I see. Ok, maybe the show still has some ground to make up in the wake of some poor performances. I'm definitely encouraged by last night's show, which embodied the inane ridiculousness that THE OFFICE does so well.
This episode didn't really further the story of the paper company that wouldn't quit and it didn't have to do that. Instead the episode was a series of running gags, as well as further reminder of Andy's ineptitude with women (how did he bag Angela so easy? Is she a slut?).
Michael, showing his crazy as a fox side (as opposed to his just plain crazy side), decides to distract the office from threat of bankruptcy with a game. Anytime these lunatics are allowed to run rampant with their insanity is fine by me.
You've got ridiculous accents, costumes that appear out of nowhere, a crime for Dwight and a threesome with Meredith, Erin and Kevin (You're welcome Erin).
This episode felt like 30 ROCK at its best. Everything was just a setup for another gag, with a loose story drifting through the episode. Definitely one of the best this year.
Is THE OFFICE insolvent? no. I'll call this the bailout it needed. Let's hope the stimulus works.

No comments: