Thursday, August 27, 2009

Top Chef: Las Vegas #2

In lieu of a running diary I’ll just be expanding on some of my thoughts during this week’s episode of Top Chef: Las Vegas. I’ll start topics and come back to them as they develop.
I will add that in my Top Chef pool, one friend has chosen Kevin (Sean) and another Jen (Bill). My horse is older brother Bryan. The other people haven’t picked theirs yet. Lame, I know. So here we go.

From the Makers of GLADWARE…
I love the promotions on this show. They should have to say things like, thank god I had my safe seal Tupperware or this duck would have spoiled or I only can roast my Lamb in a GE oven. Someone did say, it needs to be in Gladware and ready to go, so I guess that was close enough.

The Brothers McMullen
The seeds of the rivalry are already being sewn. Normally the producers don’t shamelessly push an angle, but this one will probably be prevalent. Can you imagine if one of these guys went home in like week #3? No way they would let that happen.
Looks like older brother has no balls. I like that he’s the calm and conservative one, while the younger brother is revolutionizing cooking. Classic dynamic.

Michael is pretty cool. He’s the bad ass younger one, and you can tell he’s bad ass, because he wears a backward hat and a t-shirt. Michael, the older brother, is lame because he wears collared shirts. Wonder if their outfits were chosen by the producers…. Of course Bryan is a family man. I bet Michael will bang Padma. Oh the potential for these two boys is limitless. I’m in love.
Really, Michael wants to take a risk and thinks risks are important. I bet he has sex without a condom too. Too much?
A brother head to head? Oh Gail, who told you to say that???

High Stakes Quickfires
These high stakes quick fires are making a mockery of the grand prize, which is like $100,000. The fact you can win $15,000 in one little challenge, seems to make light of the whole season. Although, I think Stefan would have loved this had it been done last year. He seemed to win every quickfire, but lost the big prize to Senor Deuchebag Hosea. Yeah, I hate Hosea. He was lame. He should have banged Leah. That’s just one of my many problems with him
Quickfire prizes should be lame. A cook book. A knife. A polish dildo. Whatever. Not huge amounts of money. I don’t find it anymore exciting, and I don’t care that the chefs care more. It’s not like they’re going to start trying harder now…

Fan Favorite
No idea who is going to be the fan favorite. Like Mateeeeen’s chances early on. He’s got personality, but it’s not really shaping up early on. In Mateen’s favor is the fact that he wants to flirt and has an accessory.
One of the hobits could do well, like Kevin. The hobit with glasses is annoying and has already secured my hatred. Although I guess that could be up in the air.

I’m Gay. -Ashley
Great, I don’t care that you’re gay. I care that you’re obviously going to stir shit, which I love. So stir away. I would say that you’re obviously a lunatic, but that’s for later. Ok, I’m developing an odd attraction to Ashley. I know she’ s gay, but that makes me wonder even more.
I think we can all agree that Padma should strip at the bachelor party and Tom should show his junk at the bachelorette party. Oh snap, Jen is mad about the team arrangements! I hope all the ladies confront Tom and Padma.
After all her bitching, Ashley better complain at some point. If she doesn’t, well I won’t know what to believe in. She’s getting riled up waiting to see the judges. If she doesn’t get called in she won’t get to vent, which will mean she’ll have to charge the judges room. I know what I’m rooting for. Not encouraged by her lack of rant!
A little disappointed she got called in, although it guarantees she’ll say something. And she says nothing! At least next week she can bitch about “don’t ask-don’t tell.”
The gay guy on the men’s team just sort of roles with his stereotypical role. At first he’s offended that he has to care for the flowers, and then six seconds later he acts like it is common knowledge that gay guys can tend plants better than straight guys. I totally agree, but I was surprised how fast he accepted this role. I want to learn this guy’s name, because he has grown on me throughout the episode.

Other comments
I wonder if Gordon Ramsey could eat food the way these judges do, in that they don’t have a temper tantrum every time they taste something. With him things are either the end of the world (most of the time) or he has just orgasmed in his mouth. The TC judges taste, contemplate and move on. They talk shit later, but at least in the quickfire they’re respecting the work of the chefs. Although, this might stem from the utter lack of talented people Ramsey has to deal with. It’s his own fault though, they recruit terrible people so he can go on his rampages. My friend from school, Sean, just made this revelation after recently losing his TC virginity and acknowledging there are talented chefs. He’s a devoted follower of Ramsey’s Hell’s Kitchen, which I have been too for the last two seasons, but bailed before this one.
JEN NEEDS A WORKER!!! What does that mean???
How are they never over when they go to the register? I call shenanigans!
What’s a sevichelle? How do you spell seviche? Am I getting closer? Seveche? I like the idea of an ‘l’ in there.
100% sure that Jesse is the fat chef from Gilmore Girls. I think her name was Sookie. And she’s crying! Just like Sookie. Any other week she would be out, but Eve is definitely gone. My brother enjoyed that Sookie grabbed a bottle of what looked like champagne when she finished at judges table. Like how I’m done calling her jesse?
They don’t do enough with the relationships in the house. I would totally support an additional half hour, or maybe even another hour, of tv sometime in the week to focus solely on house dynamics. Am I the only one who loves these people? They’re pretty normal, but interesting enough to make the viewing worthwhile.

No comments: