Monday, August 3, 2009

Still not funny...

I've been thinking about Funny People for part of the day while i was at work and i have a good comparison for the movie. Here's my weird and possibly inappropriate analogy.
1. When I saw 40 Year Old Virgin I was blown away by the movie. Didn't know what to expect and I totally loved it. I thought it would be fun, but had no idea what to expect. The whole experience is just overwhelming positive and more than you originally expected. I had never heard of Apatow and my love affair developed there.
That's just like when you hook up with a random girl at the bars and its awesome. She's the friend of a friend, sort of like how I should have known Apatow from Adam McKay (Anchorman), and you really hit it off. You end up having a wild, really unforgettable night, except for the parts you forget because you were drunk, and you're left wanting more. I mean you're just meeting this girl and you think maybe you score a number, but instead you leave without your shirt. In both cases you want more.
2. I had very high expectations for Knocked Up. Wasn't wild about the premise, but i had faith. Just like when you hang out with that first girl again you're super excited to rekindle the magic. For me, Knocked Up was a bit of a let down but flew very high. It was different from 40 Year Old Virgin, but only because it could never be exactly the same. Just like with the girl, the second experience can be awesome, except you can't recreate that first time and maybe you're a little less drunk so you remember it a little more realistically.
3. You hang out with that girl on a date and she falls way short. Maybe it's all the pressure this time around, because by the third time you wonder where things are going or maybe it's just because you're both not drunk. Well like that awkward date, Apatow's Funny People was a festering turd that failed to meet expectations. Granted the bar was set high.
Possible 4. After failed expectations Apatow rises to the occassion. I could foresee the girl and guy hitting it off again if they got back in their comfort zone. Have to wait and see
(Disclaimer: I know nothing about women)

No comments: