Monday, August 3, 2009

Some Funny People, but eh...

I wanted to love Funny People. I thought I would love it. I had no reason to doubt I would love it.
Boy I did not like Funny People.
Parts were particularly hilarious, but they were out weighed by the constant dribble in the movie that led to me attempting, not once, but twice, a nap in the movie theater.
The movie has an interesting premise, like everything Apatow creates, but the story falls flat. The plot meanders around aimlessly and halfway through the movie you begin to doubt you'll end up anywhere meaningful. Hold on to that feeling, because it's the right one.
As George Simmons, Adam Sandler creates an interesting enough character. Unfortunately, though, he is beyond saving. There is no final redemption for Simmons, and maybe this darker turn was Apatow's intention, but it makes for an unappealing dramedy.
Seth Rogen seems very restrained in his role, and I wonder if he was the best actor for his part. As for the his roommates, played by Jonah Hill and Jason Schwartzman, they steal basically every scene they're in.
The movie is over 2 hours and 20 minutes long, and it feels that long. At least 45 minutes could have been cut out and the film wouldn't have lost anything.
Also, I had some big problems with Leslie Mann's character. You watch the movie and you can tell that something is off. She's not a real person. She speaks like a real person and articulates the ideas of a real person, but her actions are fake. This is a shame for Apatow, who normally creates realistic characters that the audience can easily relate to.
I'm not saying I was hoping for the Fifty year old virgin or anything like that, as I was excited for a more complicated story from Apatow, but this movie falls way short. It definitely swings for the fences, and parts of the film ar hilarious, but on the whole it's a waste of time.

No comments: