Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What I'm Watching? Generation Kill

For at least the next week I'll be watching HBO's Generation Kill. This show was the product of The Wire creators Ed Burns and David Simon. The story comes from Evan Wright, whose book was the inspiration for the series.
I've already seen the series a couple times, but in the wake of Stephen Colbert's trip to Iraq I thought that now would be a good time to rekindle my relationship with the Iraq war. Lately the Iraq war has escaped our collective attention, and watching Generation Kill provides a window into the mess we got ourselves into.
Watching Generation Kill is not nearly as challenging as The Wire. The pacing is much faster and the action is constant. In many ways it is the same show, though, just in a different setting. Many of the characters are indistinguishable. It speaks about failed bureaucracies. The dialogue is sometimes incomprehensible. The story is very depressing.
Anyway, if you've got a stomach for a drama that speaks about a part of American life people choose to ignore or choose to misinterpret, then this is the show for you. It's entertaining, as it is well written and superbly acted.
I think I tune in (again and again) because the story is interesting and I find the whole thing funny. A deep, dark humor akin to Dr. Strangelove. Except this is very real, which also makes it very sad and makes me a little bit twisted for watching it again and again.
If you've got HBO On Demand, you should watch this if you've got the time. Unfortunately, though, you'll need to allot time for all seven episodes because you'll be hooked if you start.

No comments: