Monday, March 29, 2010

Semi-Famous people on display

Hi, my name is David Lombardo and I'm a tv snob. Ever since I discovered the limits being pushed on Cable i've basically abandoned network television, which is primarily the refuge of mainstream dribble and reality television. I scoffed at Survivor and Two and a Half men. I thumb my nose at DWTS and Castle. I poo-pooed Law & Order and, uh, secretly watched Celebrity Apprentice...
Yeah, it's true. One of my guilty pleasures, along with reruns of Gilmore Girls, is NBC's Celebrity Apprentice with Donald Trump.
Before I say why i watch this show, which primarily revolves around my excess of free time, let me explain what i hate about this show.
The boardroom scenes are simply unbearable, mostly because Donald Trump is an insufferable human being. My grandfather enjoys these scenes, as he likes watching the Donald operate.
For me the scenes in the boardroom are an odd combination of self-promotion by the Donald, insane reasoning and god awful persuasive tactics. None of it matters, though, since ultimately the less famous person will be scapegoated. That's how it was with Carol Leiffer? Who is Carol Leiffer? Exactly.
The contestants are so inarticulate that they simply aren't capable of adequately pleading their case. What's worse is that they can't point out the weakest link. Each week it's the same thing, as no one wants to "throw anyone under the bus." Is it really throwing someone under the bus if they're already operating as a speed bump that's impeding the team's progress? I think not.
But let's get to what i like about this show, which is quasi-celebrities are or tainted famous people who are forced to do demeaning tasks. The joy i get out of all this varies from character to character, but this season the standout has been the work of former governor Rod Blagoveich (maybe that's right, i don't care.). His utter incompetence borders on the retarded. So far he has been unable to turn on a computer and uttered the phrase, "premature ejaculation." Besides that, he also can't string a cohesive thought together.
I'm also a huge fan of the women, specifically the victoria secret's model, the WEE Diva and Summer Sanders. Oh how i love Summer Sanders. She's got brains, beauty and brawn. Plus she rocks a pantsuit so convincingly that i think she could have won the 2008 Democratic nomination for president.
There's also the best new odd couple/possible buddy cop duo in Brett Michaels and Michael Johnson. Their styles contrast so beautifully that Johnson will probably end up murdering Michaels in the finale, which may or may not be a fireable offense. THe Donald is unpredictable, and might just reward the effort. Michaels is a loose cannon on this show, who has more mood swings than a mood ring.
I wish i could articulate my feelings about this better, but it mostly comes down to the voyeurism aspect. It's fun to watch famous people in a reasonably unfettered manner.
There's also the self-reaffirming aspect, which allows me to feel important as celebrities fail to complete mind numbingly easy tasks. I choose to avoid the fact that these people are rich and famous regardless of the fact they're probably illiterate for the most part.
So if you've got time to kill, or find yourself wasting your viewing hours on subpar reality television you should try Celebrity Apprentice.

No comments: