Sunday, March 28, 2010

Don't start the party without me, but please organize it

(Editor's Note: This column also appears in THE SARATOGIAN's online section, THE SCENE, but without pictures.)
During the latter half of my junior year in high school it dawned on me that my resume for college resembled my love life: it lacked recommendations, was sparsely filled and didn’t impress anyone.
Since college was in my future I got proactive, and announced my campaign for senior class president. The office would put a shine on my resume, require only a modicum of effort and presumably be a breeze if I avoided a sex scandal, which I would have encouraged at that point in my life.

Following a whirlwind campaign I bested four challengers and as president during my senior year oversaw a winning float, coached the Powderpuff football team to victory, “organized” the prom and spoke at graduation. In the aftermath of my tenure I was content with my performance, and besides a mock reelection campaign I tried to get my brother to orchestrate, was ready to move on and forget the pressures of command.

Except I wasn’t able to just walk away. Five years later, when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

In this case the “they” are my classmates, who have recently been berating me about our upcoming five-year reunion. (That’s a little misleading, since “upcoming” would imply that someone is dutifully working on something for the summer.)

When I was president it had been suggested to me that in the future it would be my responsibility to organize reunions, but I assumed someone more responsible would seize the reins or that this possibility was just a ruse to spur my resignation in lieu of a coup d’état.

To be honest, in the past I was excited about a future reunion, albeit one that wouldn’t require me to do anything except show up. My enthusiasm stemmed from a romanticized view of high school that developed far too early and led me to believe a reunion would be a magical experience akin to the false promise of prom, homecoming and every other instance where I thought I might get laid.

My mom suggested assembling a task force to tackle the reunion challenge. Others suggested approaching the school about securing funds that were supposedly put aside for this occasion. Someone else said, “Reunions suck, and I don’t know who you are, so leave my house or I’m calling the police.” So now I’m like a rudderless ship adrift at sea, with no destination in mind and no idea how to get there even if I did. A lighthouse of sorts did it present itself in the form of a chance encounter with one of my classmates, which led me to believe I should organize a reunion, but that positive experience was offset by the gut wrenching awkwardness of another random run-in the next night.

Regardless of whether I want to have a reunion, the tedious work involved is stifling my desire and serving as an overwhelming deterrent. For that reason I’ll probably just treat this high school reunion like a high school homework assignment, in that I’ll wait until the last second and hope things come together. Either that or I’ll hope for a snow day.

No comments: