Monday, March 8, 2010

OSCAR's running diary (actually it's mine)

It would be fair to say that I am less than enthused about the first half hour of Oscar coverage, which exists solely on the red carpet. The interviews are particularly superficial, which is impressive for an industry built on the superficial.
Of the best supporting actresses Penelope Cruz looks the best (surprise surprise). I’m sick of Monique’s self-righteousness. Some people might think she’s grounded and very humble, to which my retort would be, suck it. The UP IN THE AIR girls seem like they genuinely like each other.
George Clooney is amazing. I have a big crush on him. His answers are so rehearsed, and I don’t care.
Just bailed on the red carpet ceremonies. Let’s go right to the big show!
“This is a different way to start it (BARB).” She refused to believe this was the actual start.
Great use of NPH in the beginning. Better than putting the dynamic duo into a number that would have been awkward at best (unless it was Martin on the banjo). I like this creativity. Nothing should be sacred.
Kristen Stewart is sitting next to Taylor Lautner! Interesting!
Antonio Banderas has the first quality beard of the night.
The fun Martin and Baldwin are having radiates off the stage. It’s really contagious. This back and forth is really good. It was just a collection of jokes and one-liners that absolutely killed.
These are really long clips for the acting categories, but I think it’s another winning change. The producers are on fire so far. Christoph Waltz wins (1 for 1)
So Ryan Reynolds is introducing THE BLIND SIDE because he co-starred with Bullock in THE PROPOSAL. Great tie in, and basically the only way he’ll ever get to go to the OSCARS. He’s not kidding, though, when he says this movie “sneaks up on you,” because 5 months ago I thought this movie would be a laughingstock. My thing about Bullock is that anyone could have played that role, like Ashley Judd or Charlize Theron (maybe).
UP wins best animated feature (2 for 2)
Were Seyfried and Cyrus racing to the podium. “[Miley] forgot to put a shirt on (Barb).” She does look pretty terrible, and Seyfried seems just resentful to be out there with Billy Ray’s daughter. Can’t believe Randy Newman was only nominated twice. Who will write Oscar Nominated songs when he dies? This shows you how bad NINE was, it’s a musical that only got one nomination. Kind of bummed we didn’t get to see Marion perform at the show. Would have been hot. T-Bone wins (3 for 3)
So instead of STAR TREK getting nominated for best film, it’s star gets to introduce the other sci-fi movie that got nominated.
DVR problems and I missed the presenting of original screenplay. Luckily I caught the banter before Hurt Locker won (4 for 4).
I’m guessing Jackson introduced UP because he was in THE INCREDIBLES. That’s the only tie in that I can think of.
Zoe’s dress would be great without the terrible train and the awkwardly high cut up the middle to her crotch. Mulligan is stunning, even if I don’t like her blonde hair. Jason Reitman does a really good Jason Lee the early years.
Best speech of the night by the winner of the animated short film Oscar. It seems like these small niche categories produce some of the best characters. Unfortunately, the ethnic Liza Minelli is really annoying. They’re really moving with this award show.
Best line of the night: “The show seemed a little Hitler heavy.”
So Jeff Bridges is introducing A SERIOUS MAN because of his work in THE BIG LEBOWSKI. Pretty great association.
First surprise of the night, with PRECIOUS winning best adapted screenplay. (4 for 5). I don’t have any reason to be mad, since I didn’t actually see the movie, but I’m furious.
Really interesting way to present the honorary awards as a highlight reel. It seems like the show’s producers did everything right. Maybe they deserved a little more, but I won’t argue with the decision since it kept things moving.
I feel like “Tyler Perry Presents” should be added to the title of PRECIOUS. Monique wins best supporting actress (5 for 6).
Colin Firth is British, which explains why he is presenting AN EDUCATION.
The corpse of Sarah Jessica Parker looks terrible. They’ll be shooting her like Barbara Walters for the third Sex and the City movie. Although, her and Tom Ford do make sense as presenters for costumes.
So Charlize Theron looked terrible in MONSTER, which is why she’s presenting PRECIOUS. Right?
Maybe it’s just me, but I think Kristen Stewart is stunning. She seems like such an old soul and I’m basically in love with her. As for Taylor Lautner, I’m pretty sure he’s retarded.
I really like Elizabeth Banks’ comedic chops. She also looks pretty good in that dress. Wouldn’t have put her hair back like that, since it stresses her face. Odd choice for a woman who endorses shampoos.
John Travolta is presenting Inglourious Basterds because Tarantino was nice enough to resurrect his career in PULP FICTION.
Didn’t actually pick this one, but I’m thinking whoever wins Cinematography will win Director. If that’s the case, not a good sign for the Hurt Locker. I’m sticking by Bigelow.
Demi Moore looks absolutely stunning. I would see STRIPTEASE 2 if it was made in the next five years. If you’ve got James Taylor doing the death montage he’s got to play FIRE AND RAIN, right? Surprised he didn’t get nominated for his cameo in FUNNY PEOPLE.
Suffering from OSCAR fatigue. Give me an award that matters please.
So AVATAR won best visual effects. (6 for 7)
Jason Bateman is introducing UP IN THE AIR because he was in JUNO, which was also directed by Jason Reitman. I guess there’s also the fact that he was in UP IN THE AIR…
Pretty depressing crop of documentaries this year. The Cove wins, which includes Minkowski from LOST!!!! (6 for 8)
Keanu was in POINT BREAK, which was directed by HURT LOCKER director Kathryn Bigelow.
No idea why Kathy Bates is introducing AVATAR. Is it ironic or something???
I love having the costars introduce the acting categories. This dynamic is very heartfelt, and miles better than the awkward introductions last year. (Btw, we’re going way long tonight) I was pretty surprised who they chose, as I thought they would pick people who were in the movies with the actor. That’s why I was surprised by Michelle Pfieffer introduced Bridges, when his costar Colin Farrell was on stage. Tim Robbins is extremely likable, and I think I would like to hang out with him. Also, Colin Farrell is underrated as an actor and as a person. I’m really digging these introductions.
No surprise here, as Jeff Bridges win Best Actor. (7 for 9) Bridges could play a zany Count figure with his hair and goatee in their current state. How is Beau Bridges not there?
Sure Forest Whitaker directed Sandra Bullock, but not a great choice. I would have preferred Dennis Hopper calling her wildcat through a long rambling introduction. Peter Sarsgard isn’t as creepy looking without hair. In solidarity with the star of PRECIOUS, Oprah has been gaining weight like a champ. No offense, but what other roles can this girl play? The Free Willie remake? I think Dan Aykroyd should have introduced Meryl Streep.
No idea what Sean Penn is talking about. Sandra Bullock wins (8 for 10). She is so charming, and I wish I could be happy for her. I’m not, since this movie is appalling, but she gives a great speech. I hate the shout out to Gabby, loved the joke to Carey and the kissing reference with Streep.
What the hell is Babs wearing? Could she not decide between a pant suit and a dress? The only thing she committed to for certain is a pirate theme.
“The time has come.” SO the black guy won? No. She towers over Jeremy Remmer. (9 for 11) I’m sick of this already.
In a very speedy reveal, it appears that HURT LOCKER wins best picture. (10 for 12). Kate Austin has now been in an Oscar winning movie.
Well that’s all I’ve got for tonight. Good start. Pretty good middle. Glad it’s done. Way too long.

No comments: