Saturday, December 25, 2010

Cringe Factor

Somethings should only be admired from a distance. That's how I feel about movies like SCHINDLER'S LIST or some episodes of CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, where there is some element that makes the viewing experience painful.
Currently, I'm avoiding THE MESSENGER because i think I would cry my way through it and that doesn't sound like a great 106 minutes (made that time up).
The movie, which stars Woody Harrelson and Ben Foster (pretty sure on Foster's last name), is about two soldiers who tell people that their spouse or child has been killed in action. Fun, right?
I would be inclined to just avoid this movie, except that it got a ton of buzz last year and it is now available for instant play on my netflix. Thus, how can i retain any credibility with my readers if I pass on this experience? Frankly, I don't think I can, which is why I'm going to end up watching it.
I'm looking forward to Foster, who has been pegged as an up and coming young actor, with a co-starring role in the upcoming MECHANIC, with Jason Statham. Foster may just be a young naive actor, which allowed him to thrive as a young naive soldier, but I'm optimistic that he is actually a force.
The aspect about a military culture movie like THE MESSENGER, is viewing what is basically a foreign culture to me. I don't get people in the military and I don't grasp the code many of them live by. It's a whole different world, which has been lampooned to death by mainstream movies, so it will be nice to see the treatment this lifestyle gets from writer Oren Moverman (who wrote the mind bending, I"M NOT THERE).
But oh the crying that will come...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

credibility with your readers?

Pop Culture Kid said...

Thanks Joe.