Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Enjoy VOID

I've been on a Michael Connelly kick for about two months. Maybe it's been longer, but it feels like a whirlwind ride that i just can't quit.
My main focus has been the novels revolving around Harry Bosch. My entry into Connelly was through his Bosch series, and I've devoured ten of his adventures. In that time I've also tried out three of his other characters with varied success.
The best was Mickey Haller, who I experienced in the LINCOLN LAWYER. THis book was on par with the best Bosch had to offer. A distant second was THE POET, which is Jack MacEvoy and Rachel Walling. They were both duds as characters and the book relied heavily on the fantastic chase they were on.
Bringing up the rear is Cassie Black, the protagonist of VOID MOON. Black was unlikeable, unsympathetic and uninteresting. I found myself routing for her antagonist with surprising vigor.
Briefly, the book is about a reformed robber who is trying to go straight. She is plagued by the memories of her past, and ultimately decides to return to her old life for one big score. Once again entangled in her old life she is pitted against her old nemesis. Basically there's a lot of sad reminiscing and a disappointing conclusion.
THe main problem with this book is that it relies so heavily on descriptive actions. I don't tune in to Connelly to read how he sets a scene. He writes great dialogue and crafts intricate stories, except he traded both of those in for gadgets and g-strings. (Ok, so there's no g-strings, but i liked the "g" sounds. For reading my ridiculousness i'll give you this quick story: I was at the ymca tonight, sweating away a pint of ice cream on the eliptical when a Rihanna's "Rude Boy" came on.
I only learned the name after looking it up, but the song was very familiar. It was after a few seconds that I remembered where I'd heard the song and why it stuck in my head. I recently had my first trip to a stripper club, and during my private lap dance the stripper sang this song while "dancing." Anyway...)

This story gets bogged down in spy craft, as evident by the fact that Connelly thanks the people who helped him learn about all these new technologies. It feels like he wrote this book for the sole purpose of letting his inner child run free. Turns out his inner child isn't much of a writer.
Oh well.

No comments: