Thursday, July 15, 2010

Woodstock takes me over

As I prepare to attend the jam musical festival Gathering of the vibes, in my capacity as an ice cream salesman, I was mentally preparing myself to buckle down and push product. By product I mean ice cream, and ice cream only, as all other goods should be moved by the ganja goodies lady or the some other vendor.
But anyway, I explain to you my mindset in order to help you understand my business oriented mind, and how that reflects my very non-hippyish mindset. Better yet, I'm a democrat who is embarrassed by half the people who call themselves democrats. Does that help? You want me to shut up and get to the point? ok. Here it is...
After watching Ang Lee's TAKING WOODSTOCK I find myself in a very groovy mood. The movie, which is about thirty minutes too long, is not fine art. In fact, the documentary about the concert is probably a more worthwhile endeavor if you're going to devote a lot of time.
The problem with Lee's movie is that he allows it to lose focus too often. It is supposed to revolve around how Elliot Teichberg (the impressive DEmetri Martin) experiences this part of his life, but we're given flashes and not a full picture. By cramming the movie full of colorful characters and a myriad of moments we fail to understand what really transpired for Elliot. The result is slightly unsatisfying as a movie experience, but as an experience it is fulfilling.
By an experience I'm referring to the mood the film captures. In a cheesy scene with a cop, we sum up how this concert overwhelmed the cop the same way the movie overwhelms the viewer. I found myself swept away in the flower power, peace love and happiness and free love.
Maybe I was just won over by the colorful characters, portrayed by Eugene Levy, Emile Hirsch, Jonathan Groff and Liev Schrieber. They command each scene in a slightly gimmicky way, and that's fine with me. They help embody the half a million people who went upstate for this concert, as it would be impossible to create personalities for everyone.
ANother great way the movie dives into the event is with the multi view scenes that demonstrate the wide scope. This device is utilized by the documentary to similar effect.
I was not keen on some of exposition that built up to the culmination of the movie, with Elliot moving on from his parents. Could have done without the mud diving scene, which was a reality of the concert, but merely served as a failed moment of levity and didn't carry me away with anywhere near the same force as a conversation with Schreiber's crossdressing vet.
Additionally, the threeway was a pointless endeavor and the whole drug trip in general was a waste of time. THe college actors should have all been shot too, or at least not given any air time.
Yet for all the failings of this movie, it still captured my sense of whimsy. I now want to experience vibes in a go with the flow style that runs completely contrary to my personality. So i guess if a movie could do that, it can't be all bad.
I'd recommend checking out the Woodstock documentary, and then taking on the movie over two nights.

No comments: