Thursday, July 15, 2010

Toys for all ages

I have never drank the Pixar kool-aid. I like their movies that I have scene, but for the most part they're just cute fun that seems to try too hard for depth. It is like they keep trying to dive off the high beam, even though the water is really shallow. I don't crack my head open in the end, yet I do feel that their goal is a flop. This is not the case with Toy Story 3.
I don't want to wax poetically about a movie that already has enough nostalgia for 5 sequels, but i will say that this movie really tugged at my heartstrings. It got me in touch with feelings of loss, growth and life that normally remain dormant during your typical animated film.
Additionally, the movie is hilarious. Michael Keaton voices the metrosexual Ken doll, who absolutely steals every scene he is in.
THe amazing reality about Toy Story 3 is how it creates a product that is sweet, but not too sweet. It adds just the right ingredients, particularly in terms of the bitter resentment embodied by Lotso, the unquantifiable love of Andy and two potato heads (HA!).
Toy Story 3 is a must see, especially if you've grown up with the series the same way I have. THe first movie came out when i was eight, and since then I've gone to Pizza Planet in Disney, owned a Buzzlight year doll and returned to my toys in the same fleeting grasp of the past that Andy performs before leaving college.
You can mark this movie down as an early contender for the Best Picture Oscar (seriously). It will undoubtedly be one of the ten nominees, and so far is the front runner amongst a host of weak competitors.
Finally, make sure you stay to the very end and catch the dance number between Buzz and the cow girl.

No comments: