Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Don't Miss THE EVENT

Last week i put up a post labeling Betty White's appearance on SNL as "Event TV." Apparently I didn't know what I was talking about, because NBC has redefined "Event TV" with their lineup for this fall. (I'll be breaking down the schedule at a later date. Long story short, though, CHUCK was renewed.)
On Monday's after CHUCK, NBC will air a new serialized drama called THE EVENT. It stars Blair Underwood as the unlucky black President in a long tradition of black Presidents who have overseen national disasters and repeated terrorist attacks. The other male lead appears to be Joshua Ritter, who I last saw on the underrated THE CLASS.
The show, which fills a hole left by HEROES, appears to be aimed at filling the gap left by HEROES, 24 and LOST. It's a big gamble for NBC, but it's nice to see them taking a stab at something with such a high ceiling. Granted, this comes at a time when FLASHFORWARD is being canceled and sprawling dramas have become an endangered species unless they're a soap opera on ABC.
I'm optimistic about this show, which is very flashy and eye catching. Whether there is enough substance to build an actual show around is debatable. I do hope the show learns from the example of HEROES, and doesn't just let its story wander aimlessly.
Watch the awesome trailer and tell me what you think.

No comments: