Sunday, July 5, 2009

True Blood star comes into her own


I'm already geared up for the True Blood spin-off starring teen vampire Jessica and gay drag queen Lafayette. Such a show would surely play well on the CW.
I've always been a Lafayette fan, but it's been Jessica who has brought the show up a notch in season two. Watching her enter vampirehood has been nothing short of brilliant.
The scene in which Bill tries to find a version of True Blood for her was akin to a single father trying to explain other bloody situations with his own daughter. On top of that, Bill even did normal dad stuff by going shopping for his pseudo-daughter. The familiarity with which any father must have had with that scene is sure to be high.
But Jessica is not just a laugh a minute. She is truly an endearing character, who has struggled in her new role. Her confrontation of her family was poignant for me, as it reminded me of my own experience coming home after graduating from college and the new family dynamic. The way I sort of wanted to challenge authority.
But in the last episode that aired, in which Jessica make a romantic friend is by far the sweetest thing ever on HBO.
I am excited for whatever True Blood and Jessica have planned for the rest of the season.

No comments: