Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bleeding Out

This is the recap from the second to last episode of True Blood season two. Basically everything in the town is about to explode and Bill has gone off to find the one person who can bring order to everything, the Vampire Queen.
So the forgotten cousin Hadley was mentioned in the previously on True Blood segment. Wonder whether she’ll be in this episode… Kidding, she’ll obviously be on. Don’t really like how they gave that away. Hope there are juicy details at least. I thought Gran was supposed to be back for a flashback or something this season, and maybe this could be it or the finale when we learn more about Sookie’s powers.

“There’s no such thing as bad, or time for that matter.” -Vampire Queen
So Evan Rachel Wood seems in her element playing the Vampire Queen. Not blown away by her debut on the show, as it seemed a little corny and over the top. Something seemed a little off, but I’m sure it will pay off as this episode develops. I know this paragraph seems contradictory, and it probably is, but that’s how I feel. Conflicted. Her reveal, though, was unquestionably entertaining, as she emerged from the crotch of a willing donor. Hot.
The dynamic between Bill and the Vampire Queen is wild. She obviously digs him, but I can’t tell the extent of it or where it stems from. She pretends to resent certain aspects of his personality, yet I think she finds him mysterious and beyond her comprehension.
The one thing that disappoints me about the Queen is her lame references. Her dialogue is both interesting and canned at the same time. This speaks to my earlier concerns, which cemented themselves throughout the show. Although, I’m convinced that Alan Ball wanted it to be like this. I don’t know why, but I’ve learned never to doubt him and to reserve judgment. Based on the previews for the next episode, and the deal she strikes with Eric I think it’s obvious that the queen is a conniving Machiavelli who just puts up a front that hides her real nature.

“She’s my momma, she gets to!”-Hoyt
So apparently Hoyt’s mom may be able to drive a stake (get it) between Hoyt and Jessica. His reaction to Jessica’s attempt to murder (an apt description) his mom isn’t surprising, except that he had been coming into his own and it is too bad to see him fall back like this. I still have hope for the best couple on tv! Although, I do wonder what a pissed off Jessica is capable of. Probably crazy things…
I worry about Hoyt, in terms of his feelings for Jessica and how he’ll handle being apart, but more in regards to the revelations about his dad. I think he’ll see a lot of his father’s shortcoming in himself and I wonder what it will inspire him to do. He needs Jessica right now more than ever.

“These are fur.” -Sookie
Not sure why Tara thinks she can rescue Eggs. What in her history makes her believe she can stop Marianne. (Side note: I spell the names however I want). This storyline is unbelievably annoying. Not sure if it’s because I hate Tara, or because I really hate Tara and Eggs together even more.
Tara is so dramatic. She needs to calm down. This whole intervention is annoying as heck. They payoff, with Marianne explaining how Tara brought her on was sort of rewarding, except I didn’t totally understand what happened. It seems like she’s looking for a vessel or something…
Tara’s mom’s actions make almost no sense to me. She wants to win her daughter back, but by sending her off to certain death… I think someone is drinking again.

“Sometimes you need to destroy something to save it. That’s in the bible, or the constitution.” -Jason
Jason and Andy started hitting their stride last week, but now they’ve cemented themselves as the premiere duo on television. Now more than ever am I dedicated to the idea of a spin off. Maybe they can open a detective agency or something. At the very least they should pop up on other HBO shows.
“Dude, do not cock block me.”-Jason (I just enjoy this one)
I like that Andy tries to offer himself as the voice of reason. Post-drunk Andy is just as fun as Drunk-Andy. I’d go so far as to say he’s a more entertaining character, since he can stand up and what not. This has been a PSA from Dave Lombardo and Andy. Drinking can be bad, sometimes, but not really.
I really enjoy the comedic nature of True Blood. It feels eerily similar to Shaun of the Dead, which offers a similar twist on preconceived notions about horror stories. Jason’s musings on Sam’s ability are top-notch comedy, which is only matched by Andy’s dry responses that also kill me.
Jason’s resentment for Sam is a little startling. I guess it makes sense in light of his experience with the fellowship. There he was supposed to be a leader, except he was just a pawn. No he has a chance to redeem himself as a leader and Sam seems to be cutting him off at the legs. Still, though, Jason is completely retarded, as evident by his belief that “the time for thinking is over.”

“I’m getting a new phone as soon as Eric pays me.” –Sookie
I’ve always defended this show as something more than a vampire show. The aforementioned quote is the closest thing to reality in a lot of these recent episodes. I’ve commented on this before and I worry how it will affect the show’s appeal.
Whitney, who I started watching season one with recently, says she likes the setting for the show and finds that reason enough to watch. She essentially like the idea that vampires are prevalent in the deep south. I guess she could be hooked by season one, which we’re almost halfway done with, and then by season two be willing to follow the story elsewhere.

“Don’t You Know Any Other Vampires?”-Colby
I really like Sam’s dynamic with the kids. His talk with Arlene’s children about their real dad is hilarious. It demonstrates how uncomfortable he is, but how hard he’s trying at the same time. The kids seem much more worldly than Sam, who is just so pure and genteel that I sometimes worry about him. Those same characteristics made me resent him for most of season one, yet now come off as endearing.
Sam’s pseudo parenting is topped only by his back-and-forth with Eric and the other vampires in general. Sam is such a better character than he was in season one, when I was convinced he was a whiny biatch that I would constantly root against. Now that he has come into his own I’ve got more respect for him.

“He can fly!”-Colby
So yeah, Eric can fly. That was pretty intense. Although I guess it would make sense, as Bill has alluded to the fact that there are Vampires with additional powers.
I like that Eric is motivated solely by his desire to impress Sookie, since I doubt he really fell for Sam’s moving speech. Bill’s assessment of Eric and his intentions was pretty poignant, except when it was topped by Eric’s contention that Bill was guilty of the same trickery, regarding the second episode when Sookie feeds on Bill. This feud looks like it will come to a boiling point in the finale, and while it might not explode, it will at least remain simmering during season three as Sookie will opt between Eric and Bill. A little corny for my tastes, but oh well.
His interest in the children was amusing, especially his tea-cup description of them.

Other Comments
Rest In peace Carl. Not sure how broken up Marianne is since she’s already looking to Lafayette as a possible replacement.
There is no way Bill will tell Sookie about Hadley in the finale. I feel like it cold come up next season and possibly cause some issues. Bill has already promised not to hide stuff from her, so this could lead to him breaking his promise and causing tension in the relationship.
Not sure what I’ll do to get ready for the season two finale, but it looks like I’m going to try to rewatch every episode before that…
Oh yeah, it’s obvious that Bill wants to sacrifice Sam, right?

No comments: